Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Homework #4

Today we talked about time in different societies and the English words associated with them. For homework, answer the following question:
The English language has many proverbs and sayings about time.
1. Time is money.
2.A stitch in time saves nine.
3.There's no time like the present.
4. Fashionable late.
Please explain what you think are the meanings of each of the 4 expressions.

>
1. Time is money.
>There is a common Japanese saying that "time is money" which is 「時は金なり」 I think the meaning is that time is really important and precious in a life, so we should not spend time in vain. There is 24 hours in a day and we always check time, spend time, and live with time. We know or decide the time to wake up, eat breakfast, leave for school/work, work, go home, hong out with friends, and go to bed. For a part-time job, we get money by the hour. Sometimes, we have to choose time or money. For example, when we use expressway, we have to pay money to save time and get the place faster. In fact, we buy time. Time goes really quickly. I always think one week passes so fast. Even I can not have time to think or remember what I did last week The way of using time and what is important to use time are different from each other; however, we should think about how much time we spend time in vain and how we can use time well.

2. A stitch in time saves nine.
>When we get a hole in cloths and if you did not fix or sew it, the hole will get bigger and bigger, never will be smaller. In fact, a stitch will save time to sew 9 stitches. So the meaning of this proverb is that we should better to do it the time when you noticed, otherwise it will only get worse. For example, when we get a homework due and teacher give us 1 month to do. If I do it earlier, I don't need to rush to do the homework before the due date. We should not wait to do until the due time.

3. There's no time like the present.
>I have never heard this proverb, but I guessed this meaning is that now is the time to do something or the time, right now, is really precious than anything else and never will come again. I was not sure about my guessing, so look on the Internet and one dicrionary told me "s
omething that you say in order to show that you think it is a good idea to do something immediately."( The Free Dictionary By Farlex) Also, the proverb has the meaning of this is a chance, good occasion, or perfect timing.

4. Fashionable late.
> It is better to come late. Comming late especially for parties is good for both hosts and guests. When I was in America and hanging out with friends at friend's apartment, one of my friend invited us for a party which starts at 7:00pm. I started to get ready for a party around 6:30; however, another friends did not and they did not seem like to leave soon. I asked them what time we are going to go to the party. They said maybe around 8:00 or sometime late. I was so surprised and asked the reason. They said the party starts at 7:00 and if we get there at 7:00, nobody else will be there and we will get bored and it will be kind of awkward. If we get there little late, it will be good because everyone is there and food is ready. It is also good for hosts, becuase they can have extra time to get ready. Therefore we call this "Fashionable late"


2 comments:

strawbarry said...

hi, I really liked your explanation. I wasn't really sure about the meaning of Fashionable late. I was able to understand it. I wanted to say thankyou:)

baby pink said...

hi, strawbarry-san☆
Acutually, I am not sure about the meaning but if i think it that way, it is kind of make sense to me.